Dr. Greene’s Answer:
For most individuals, the benefits of the DPT (a.k.a. DTaP) vaccine far outweigh the risks. The following events or conditions may have an impact on the risk of a reaction with the DPT vaccine and are DPT Vaccine Contraindications:
- Serious reaction to a previous injection of DPT (or any of the components of the vaccine)
- Moderate or severe illness
- History of seizure(s)
- Parent or sibling with seizures
- Brain problem that is getting worse
- Alterations of consciousness within 7 days of previous DPT vaccine
- Inconsolable crying/screaming or collapse/shock-like state within 48 hours of DPT immunization in the past
- High fever (over 105 degrees F) within 48 hours of previous DPT immunization
If your child has any of these conditions, discuss the risks and benefits of the DPT vaccine with your physician before proceeding.
More information on this vaccine can be found at CDC.gov.