Finding activities for 2 year olds that captivate isn’t as hard as you might think. They are easily engaged in simple discovery if there is a chance for surprise or giggles.
10 Easy Ways for 2 Year Olds to Play
Here are some of my favorite picks for 2 y/o play. They are all easy to create with little to no set-up.
- Make colored popsicles to create art with ice painting! What a perfect way to play outside on a hot day.
- Make a few farm animals from toilet paper tubes and a cardboard farm and play this fun bowling game.
- For fine motor play, give your child a pile of pom-poms to stuff into an empty water bottle. This also doubles as pom-pom storage!
- Talk about the different rooms in your home and what belongs where with this around the house activity.
- Make a mystery box for your toddler to dig into and use their sense of touch to figure out what is inside.
- Give your little one an empty cardboard box and a handful of crayons and let them color and create.
- This sensory activity allows your child to touch and play with different types of materials.
- Give your child a basket full of ribbons and let them take their time pushing them into an empty bottle. This is a good concentration activity and also great for fine motor skills.
- Get a little messy and have fun excavating your toy figurines from a mold of jello!
- Play with colored rice. Go outside and give your child bowls of rice along with spoons, cups, funnels and containers and let them play and explore.
What are your favorite ways to play?
Get Dr. Greene's Wellness Recommendations
Sign up now for a delightful weekly email with insights for the whole family. Plus Dr. Greene's FREE Top 5 Wellness Tips For 2017.