Disposable Diapers

In our online community, someone inquired about a baby who had eaten some of the gel out of her diaper. I was pleased to answer this query, but I want to be sure that every parent and grandparent and sitter knows about Poison Control Centers. This free 24-hour service is the first place to call whenever a child has ingested something suspicious.

Thankfully, diaper gel is a nontoxic water-absorbing substance that passes through kids without doing harm. There is a theoretical risk that it could swell inside as it absorbed water, causing intestinal blockage, but I have never heard of this happening.

While safe, I wouldn’t recommend diaper gel as a culinary treat!

Published on: August 09, 1999
About the Author
Photo of Alan Greene MD
Dr. Greene is a practicing physician, author, national and international TEDx speaker, and global health advocate. He is a graduate of Princeton University and University of California San Francisco.
Get Dr. Greene's Wellness RecommendationsSignup now to get Dr. Greene's healing philosophy, insight into medical trends, parenting tips, seasonal highlights, and health news delivered to your inbox every month.
No comments yet. Start the conversation!
Add your comment