In case you didn’t catch my article in this month’s Glamour magazine, here’s a summary of what I consider to be the most important organic switches every woman should make, if she eats these foods.
- Yogurt: Most women don’t drink a lot of milk, but perhaps you’re reaching for yogurt in the dairy case when you need a snack on the go. Organic yogurts are made without the use of added hormones or antibiotics have higher levels of omega-3s. Organic dairy products are not only good for our bodies – they can be much less damaging to the environment. Watch more about organic dairy choices….
- Super Salads: Conventional lettuce has some of the highest levels of toxic synthetic pesticides of any food. Choose fresh organic greens as a salad base, then slice in organic veggies to add color and vitamins. You’ll benefit from almost an extra serving of fruits and vegetables a day when you choose organic greens because organic can average more than 25 percent more antioxidants.
- An Organic Apple a Day: Apples are second only to bananas on our fruit shopping lists, but most people don’t know they can contain toxic synthetic pesticides including organophosphates, even when they’re washed and peeled. Choose organic apples as well as nectarines, peaches, pears, strawberries, cherries and imported grapes, as all these fruit are more vulnerable to pesticides. Watch more on apples….
- You Say Tomato, I Say Organic: The average American consumes about 90 pounds of tomatoes a year, mostly in sauces and catsup. Organic tomatoes can have significantly more lycopene, an antioxidant that may lower cancer and heart disease risks and may do other wonderful things. Watch more on catsup….
- Organic – It’s What’s for Dinner: Besides not making use of the added hormones. grass-fed beef is often leaner than conventional beef and can contain about 5 times the good omega-3 fats. And choosing free-range beef promotes farming practices that help our environment as well. More about beef…
- Bonus – Red, Red Wine: Scientists were happy to discover the health benefits of drinking a moderate amount of red wine. Resveratrol, an antioxidant in the skin of red grapes might help slow aging, prevent cancer and do other wonderful things. Organic wines can average about 32 percent more resveratrol and go splendidly with a nice organic marinara and organic salad. More on red wines….
Want more organic recommendations for the whole family? Click here for Dr. Greene’s Organic Prescription.
Get Dr. Greene's Wellness Recommendations
Sign up now for a delightful weekly email with insights for the whole family. Plus Dr. Greene's FREE Top 5 Wellness Tips For 2017.