ti Throw whatever happens to be in the fridge, (parsley, dried cranberries, pine nuts and crumbled goat cheese this time), and you’ll have a healthy and filling meal in mere minutes. Wild rice with chicken or vegetable stock and a pat or two of butter really makes a world of difference.
This salad can be made with any grain, try it with quinoa, brown rice, farro, etc. There are no rules for this salad – here’s your chance to get creative and clean out that fridge all at the same time. Enjoy!
Wild Rice and Apple Salad Recipe Summary
- Cuisine: American
- Course: Salad
- Skill Level: Easy
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 apple – I like Gala or Fuji
- 1/2 cup nuts, I like pine nuts or walnuts
- 1 Tbls (or more) chopped fresh herb such as parsley, mint, basil
- Handful of dried cranberries
- Crumbled goat cheese, or feta – to your liking
- Salt and pepper
- Olive oil
- Lemon juice
- Calories: 252
- Protein: 6
- Fat: 14
- Sodium: 16
- Carbohydrates: 27
- Fiber: 4
- Sugar: 5
- Combine everything in a large bowl.
- Season with salt and pepper, and drizzle with olive oil (or walnut oil) and fresh lemon juice – adjust to your liking.
- Serve over a bed of mixed baby greens.
Get Dr. Greene's Wellness Recommendations
Sign up now for a delightful weekly email with insights for the whole family.