- Makes: 4 dozen (24 Servings)
- Ready In: 32 mins
- Prep Time: 10-15 mins
- Cook Time: 22-23 mins
Many Whole Foods stores across the country offer in-store flour milling, and if used within 72 hours, the nutritional value and fantastic flavor are maintained. Fresh milled flour can also be frozen to extend it’s shelf life to a month or more, only losing a little in the flavor and texture categories.
You should store these in the freezer because they don’t have any preservatives. They thaw nicely, and they also taste great frozen.
- Calories: 126
- Fat: 7g
- Protein: 2g
- Sodium: 66mg
- Carbohydrates: 13g
- Fiber: 2g
- Sugar: 6g
Nutritional Information (per serving)
- 1 cup butter, at room temperature
1 cup Honey Crystals (lesser substitute: evaporated cane sugar) *
1 cup Sucanat or Molasses Crystals (lesser substitute: brown sugar) *
2 eggs (free-range, if possible!)
1 Tbsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups fresh milled whole wheat flour (lesser substitute: pre-ground bagged whole wheat flour)
1 1/2 cups fresh milled whole wheat pastry flour (lesser substitute: pre-ground bagged whole wheat pastry flour)
1/4 cup freshly milled flax seeds (optional) **
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans (optional) ***
1 12 oz bag mini chocolate chips (OR carob chips)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- With electric mixer, cream butter and sugars to make a grainy paste.
- Add eggs and vanilla and beat well.
- Mix dry ingredients and gradually blend using hand mixer into creamed mixture.
- Add nuts and chips, blend using hand mixer, until just combined.
- Form into 1 inch balls using a medium (1 1/2") cookie scoop to increase uniformity.
- Place 2" apart on an ungreased non-stick cookie sheet.
- Bake for 12-13 minutes.
* These sweeteners can be purchased in many larger health food stores. They can also be obtained on-line at Bread Becker's.
** Fresh milled flax seeds spike these cookies with Omega-3 Fatty Acids. Flax is a delicate unsaturated fat, but see the comments on Millet Salmon Cakes for a discussion on cooking with flax. Grind whole flax seeds using a coffee grinder. I own two coffee grinders: one for coffee and one for spices and flax.
*** Toast the nuts in the oven for added flavor. Preheat oven to 275 degrees. Spread nuts onto a sheet pan. Pop in the oven for 10 minutes or until the nuts just begin to smell and are just beginning to brown. Make sure to cool the nuts before chopping. Much like resting meat to allow the juice to redistribute, resting nuts after toasting allows the oil to redistribute, which avoids greasy chopped nuts.
Print or email this post: