- Makes: 8-10 Servings
- Ready In: 50 mins
- Prep Time: 15-20 mins
- Cook Time: 35-40 mins
Serve this cake on its own as a satisfying lunchbox snack, or add scrumptious cream cheese frosting for an after-school treat. Dr. Greene suggests you use organic ingredients when possible, especially for dairy and egg products.
- Calories: 383
- Fat: 24g
- Protein: 5g
- Sodium: 359mg
- Carbohydrates: 40g
- Cholesterol: 86mg
Nutritional Information (per serving)
3/4 cup cake flour
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. salt
2 tsp. cinnamon
3/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 tsp. freshly grated orange zest
1 cup coarsely shredded zucchini
1 cup finely diced walnuts, lightly toasted
Cream Cheese Frosting (optional):
1/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
4 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
2/3 cup powdered sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 Tbsp. freshly squeezed orange juice
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Butter a 9-inch square baking pan, then dust with flour.
- Sift the cake flour, whole wheat flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon into a spacious bowl and whisk to blend.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the melted butter, eggs, sugar, brown sugar, applesauce and orange zest.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir to blend.
- Finally, stir in the shredded zucchini and walnuts.
- Spread the mixture in the prepared pan and bake in the preheated oven for 35 to 40 minutes or until the cake feels firm and springy on top and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool thoroughly before slicing or frosting.
- To prepare the frosting, beat the cream cheese and butter with an electric mixer until fluffy.
- Add the powdered sugar and beat until smooth, scraping the bowl as needed.
- Blend in the vanilla extract and orange juice.
- Spread over the top of the cooled cake.