- Makes: 4 Servings
- Ready In: 45 mins
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
This is a perfect way to utilize the abundance of home grown tomatoes and basil that is available all summer long! Caprese pasta is a great vegetarian and nut-free main dish that will appeal to even your pickiest eaters. Those sensitive to gluten can easily substitute brown rice pasta or toss with cooked quinoa instead of noodles. The leftovers are delicious, so feel free to double. When properly refrigerated, they can be enjoyed for up to three days.
- Calories: 301
- Fat: 17g
- Protein: 19g
- Sodium: 286mg
- Carbohydrates: 20g
- Fiber: 3g
- Sugar: 9g
Nutritional Information (per serving)
- Pipe rigate pasta, 8 ounce, ½ standard pkg (or any ridged, short pasta that would cling to vinaigrette)
Tomatoes, 2 large heirloom or vine-ripened, chopped and seeded OR, cherry or grape tomatoes, 1 pint halved
Fresh basil leaves, ¼ cup, plus more for garnish
Fresh mozzarella, one 8-ounce ball, cubed in about ½ inch bites
Red onion, about ¼ cup, minced
- Prepare the vinaigrette:
- Whisk together all ingredients listed under “balsamic-tarragon vinaigrette”.
Slicing and dicing:
- Chop and seed large tomatoes, or halve small ones. (It is imperative that you seed larger tomatoes or your dish will be too watery.)
- Dice mozzarella into ½ inch cubes.
- Finely chop about ¼ cup red onion.
- Using clean hands, tear basil leaves into small pieces.
- Combine prepared cheese, tomatoes, basil, and onion in a small mixing bowl.
- Pour vinaigrette over top and stir to combine.
- Let the mixture marinate at room temperature for at least 30 minutes or up to two hours.
Directions (10 – 15 minutes, mostly inactive):
- Cook pasta in salted, boiling water according to package directions. Drain and immediately rinse with cool water to stop the cooking process. Drain again, very thoroughly.
- Toss cooked noodles with cheese, veggies, and remaining vinaigrette until well combined.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and garnish with additional basil leaves, if desired.
- Serve and enjoy!