- Makes: 4 Servings
- Ready In: 25 mins
- Prep Time: 5-10 mins
- Cook Time: 20-25 mins
Vegetable Yaki Soba is a great go-to meal when you can’t think of anything to make. It’s easy and it’s inexpensive. Warm, nourishing garlic ginger broth with simmered vegetables ladled over noodles is sure to be a hit.
This traditional Japanese dish mightjust become a family favorite. You can pan-fry the tofu cubes before adding them but the dish is equally good if the tofu is added raw. Soba is a hearty noodle made from buckwheat and wheat flour.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Feeding the Whole Family (third edition) by Cynthia Lair (Sasquatch Books, 2008).
- Calories: 201
- Fat: 10g
- Protein: 11g
- Sodium: 1407mg
- Carbohydrates: 19g
- Fiber: 3g
- Sugar: 4g
Nutritional Information (per serving)
- 1 package soba noodles
2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
I onion, cut in thin half moons
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
1 carrot, cut into matchsticks
5 shitake mushrooms, cut into bite-size pieces
4 cups water
1/3 cup tamari or shoyu
½ pound firm tofu, cut into ½” cubes or fried tofu cubes
1 tablespoon freshly grated gingerroot
2 cups chopped bok choy
2 scallions, cut into thin slices
- Prepare soba noodles according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Heat oil in a 4-quart soup pot.
- Add onion and garlic; sauté over medium heat until onion begins to soften.
- Add carrot and mushroom pieces; sauté a few minutes more. Add water, tamari, tofu and gingerroot.
- Bring heat up until mixture begins to simmer. Cover and let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add bok choy and simmer until leaves are bright green.
- Serve this dish by placing a handful of noodles in each serving dish. Ladle broth and vegetables over the noodles. Garnish with scallions.
FOR BABIES 6 MONTHS & OLDER: Reserve some carrots and bok choy. Steam until tender, puree with some of the broth and serve.
FOR BABIES 10 MONTHS & OLDER: Serve plain slices of tofu and/or cooked soba noodles cut into small pieces.