- Makes: 2 Servings
- Ready In: 15 mins
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 5 mins
This sandwich has the combination of eggplant, tomato and mozzarella which just could be one of the best flavor medleys ever created. You start making this sandwich by breading the eggplant with panko breadcrumbs to give it a light and flavorful crunch. After that, saute the eggplant in olive oil to heat it through and leach out any bitterness. Then, apply a layer of pesto, followed by thin slices of fresh mozzarella and tomato, and top it all with second slice of breaded eggplant. The vegetables flavors are fresh and unadulterated due to the simple preparation.
- Calories: 576
- Fat: 13g
- Protein: 29g
- Sodium: 751mg
- Carbohydrates: 81g
- Fiber: 5g
- Sugar: 7g
Nutritional Information (per serving)
- 1 large eggplant, cut into strips
2 fresh tomatoes, sliced
1 ball lightly salted fresh mozzarella, cut into thin slices
4 T. fresh pesto
2 c. panko breadcrumbs (or regular unseasoned breadcrumbs if you don't have panko)
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
- Slice the eggplant into 1/2 inch strips. To bread the eggplant, first, dip each strip into the flour until fully coated. Then, dip each strip into the egg, followed by the panko. Each strip should be full coated with panko bread crumbs before going any further.
- Warm 2 t. olive oil in a skillet. Add eggplant slices to the olive oil and saute until lightly golden brown and cooked through. Do not undercook the eggplant, you want to make sure all of the bitterness is gone.
- On a separate plate have the tomato slices and mozzarella slices ready to go. When each eggplant slice is complete begin assembling the sandwich.
- First, place on eggplant slice on a plate and coat the topside with 2 T. of pesto. On top of this stack two slice of mozzarella, followed by two slices of tomato. Top with second slice of eggplant and serve with Baked Lavash Chips.