- Makes: 4 Servings
- Ready In: 30 mins
- Prep Time: 15-20 mins
- Cook Time: 15-20 mins
Recipe reprinted with permission from Feeding the Young Athlete: Sports Nutrition Made Easy for Players and Parents by Cynthia Lair (Moon Smile Press, 2002)
Make mounds of rice and serve this easy-to-make, kid-pleasing dish heaped on top. Perfect blend of carbohydrates, vitamin-rich vegetables and protein to fuel-up the athletic body. Use any combination of vegetables.
- Calories: 251
- Fat: 8g
- Protein: 28g
- Sodium: 797mg
- Carbohydrates: 17g
- Fiber: 1g
- Sugar: 14g
Nutritional Information (per serving)
- Teriyaki Sauce:
1/3 cup tamari soy sauce
1 teaspoon grated ginger root
2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon sucanat or brown sugar
1 small clove garlic, minced
1/2 cup water
1 pound chicken breasts, boneless, skinless
1/2 head green cabbage, shredded
1 carrot, cut at a diagonal in slices
1/2 medium onion, cut in chunks
2-3 tablespoons high-oleic safflower or peanut oil
- Blend together all ingredients for teriyaki sauce together in a saucepan and warm on low until sugar dissolves.
- Prepare chicken breasts. Pound out and cut into small strips.
- Put in a bowl or dish and cover with 1/4 - 1/3 cup of the teriyaki sauce.
- Allow remaining teriyaki sauce to reduce on low heat while you prepare the rest of the dish.
- Cut all vegetables.
- Heat 1/2 of oil in a wok or skillet.
- Stir fry vegetables until bright and crisp.
- Pour about 1/4 cup of the teriyaki sauce over the vegetables and stir constantly until it's absorbed.
- Remove vegetables and clean out wok.
- Heat remaining oil in wok.
- Add chicken and stir fry until tender.
- Pour remainder of sauce over chicken.
- Add cooked vegetables and toss.
- Turn off heat, serve immediately over rice.