- Makes: 6 Servings
- Ready In: 17 mins
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 12-15 mins
A tasty and nutty rice that goes well with ethnic meals. This recipe pairs well with Chicken Curry.
Cook’s Note: If slivered almonds are not readily available, you can substitute raw cashew halves. Cashews taste and look great and are actually quite common in Indian dishes.
- Calories: 174
- Fat: 9g
- Protein: 5g
- Sodium: 22mg
- Carbohydrates: 21g
- Fiber: 4g
- Sugar: 3g
Nutritional Information (per serving)
- 1 1/2 cups basmati rice, rinsed
1/2 cup raisins
5 cardamom pods
1/2 cup slivered almonds (see Cook’s Note)
½ cup of shredded coconut
3 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
Salt to taste
- To make the rice, combine 3 cups of water, the rice, raisins, and cardamom in a medium pot and bring to a boil.
- Cover, lower the heat, and simmer until the water is absorbed, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and let the rice sit with the lid on for a few minutes.
- Transfer to a bowl and mix in the almonds, coconut, cilantro, and salt.