- Makes: 24 Servings
- Ready In: 60 mins
- Prep Time: 35 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
These sour cream cupcakes require a day of storage to achieve their best texture. For the moistest result, prepare them in advance. Dr. Greene suggests you use organic ingredients when possible, especiallyfor dairy and egg products. We’ve partnered with Horizon® Dairy who provide wonderful organic sour cream, eggs, cream cheese and butter perfect for this recipe.
- Calories: 275
- Fat: 16g
- Protein: 3g
- Sodium: 250mg
- Carbohydrates: 32g
- Cholesterol: 53mg
Nutritional Information (per serving)
- Chocolate Chip Cupcakes:
3/4 cup Horizon Organic® unsalted butter, room temperature
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 Horizon Organic eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. freshly grated orange zest
1 cup Horizon Organic sour cream
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup mini chocolate chips
Strawberry Cream Cheese Icing:
1 (8-ounce) container regular or reduced fat cream cheese, room temperature
3 tbsp. Horizon Organic unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup powdered sugar
1/4 cup strawberry jam
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Line 24 muffin cups with paper liners.
- Using an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time, scraping down the bowl as needed.
- Beat in the vanilla, orange zest, and sour cream.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- With the mixer on low speed, add the dry ingredients in three additions, scraping the bowl after each. Increase the mixer to medium (high if you are using a hand mixer), and beat the batter vigorously for about 30 seconds. Reduce the speed to low again and blend in the chips.
- Divide the batter evenly among the prepared muffin cups and bake for about 25 minutes, until the cupcakes are barely firm and springy when pressed in the center. Cool thoroughly before frosting.
- To prepare the icing, use an electric mixer to beat the cream cheese and butter together until smooth and fluffy.
- Blend in the sugar on low speed.
- Blend in the jam.
- Scrape down the bowl, then increase the mixer speed to high and beat the icing vigorously for a minute or two to produce a smooth, creamy texture.
- Spread the frosting over the cooled cupcakes.
- Because cream cheese icing is perishable, the finished cupcakes should be stored in the fridge. Restore to room temperature before serving.