- Makes: 14 Servings
- Ready In: 1 hr 15 mins
- Prep Time: 15-20 mins
- Cook Time: 60-65 mins
Every mama wants to have a grand celebration when her baby turns 1. It’s an exciting milestone for the whole family. I wanted to enjoy my kids’ first birthdays without worrying about giving them too much sugar, so I made my own cake out of fresh ingredients. This cake takes a while to assemble, but be patient and put extra love and care into it. After all, it is your baby’s special day. Believe me, your love and tenderness are the most critical ingredients to the success of this cake. This is wonderful for every special birthday or occasion.
- Calories: 318
- Fat: 13g
- Protein: 11g
- Sodium: 422mg
- Carbohydrates: 36g
- Fiber: 5g
- Sugar: 17g
Nutritional Information (per serving)
2 cups sliced carrots
3 cups unsweetened apple juice
1⁄2 cup spinach, chopped
1 ripe banana
1 cup sweetened dried cranberries
1 tablespoon ground almonds
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
2 tablespoons baking powder
1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
3 egg whites
1 cup Pure Apple Puree (recipe follows)
Optional frosting/filling idea
2 cups fresh blueberries
1 package soft cream cheese
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 tablespoons agave nectar
- To make the cake: Preheat the oven to 350˚F. Grease 2 cake pans.
- Combine the carrots with 2 cups of the apple juice in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat, cover the pan, and simmer for 15 minutes, or until the carrots are soft.
- Place the carrot mixture in a blender or food processor. Puree until smooth.
- Add the spinach, banana, cranberries, and almonds. Puree until smooth. Set aside.
- Combine the flour, flaxseed, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon in a separate mixing bowl.
- Mix all ingredients together. Cook for 35-40 minutes or until a fork comes out clean.
- Cool before frosting.
Pure Apple Purée
- There is nothing like fresh apples. With their beautiful white color and gentle, sweet flavor, they make an excellent solid food for your baby.
- 2 pounds apples (4 large apples)
- Wash and peel the apples. Core and cut into 1-inch pieces.
- Steam the apple pieces for 8 to 10 minutes, or until soft; a sharp knife will pass easily through the pieces. Fruit that is not completely ripe will need to steam longer. Reserve the liquid from the steamer.
- Transfer the steamed apple pieces to a food processor and purée until smooth. Add the reserved liquid, if necessary, in scant 1⁄8-cup increments until the purée reaches the desired consistency and smoothness.