- Makes: 5 Servings
- Ready In: 40 mins
- Prep Time: 10-15 mins
- Cook Time: 30-40 mins
Veggie burger bites are a perfect dinner. Kids go crazy for the flavor, and flaxseed provides extra nutrition. The burger bites are full of bean protein and dietary fiber. You can serve them anytime of year, but they are great in the summer at barbecues and go well with sweet potato fries. Serve them chopped up for your toddler or on a bun with other fixings for an older child.
- Calories: 575
- Fat: 22g
- Protein: 32g
- Sodium: 958mg
- Carbohydrates: 61g
- Fiber: 17g
- Sugar: 4g
Nutritional Information (per serving)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for the baking sheets
1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed
1⁄ 2 cup mushrooms, chopped
1⁄ 2 cup chopped celery
1 medium green bell pepper, finely chopped
1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
Grated rind of 1 lemon
Fine sea salt
Freshly ground black pepper
2 cans (15 ounces each) kidney or black beans, rinsed and drained
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 egg, beaten
1 cup dried panko bread crumbs
1 cup grated Cheddar cheese
1⁄ 2 cup grated Monterey Jack cheese
1⁄ 3 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
1 teaspoon thyme
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Coat a baking sheet with oil.
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Cook the onion, garlic, mushrooms, celery, and bell pepper until lightly browned.
- Add the flaxseed, soy sauce, lemon rind, and salt and pepper to taste. Cook for 5 minutes and then remove the mixture from the heat.
- Mash the beans and tomato paste together with a fork or potato masher in a large bowl.
- Mix in the onion mixture, egg, bread crumbs, cheeses, cilantro, and thyme.
- Form small patties with approximately 2 tablespoons of the bean mixture.
- Place the patties on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 20 to 30 minutes, or until crisp.
- Flip the patties halfway through cooking.