- Makes: 6 Servings
- Ready In: 20 mins
- Prep Time: 10-15 mins
- Cook Time: 10-15 mins
Scallops are very versatile with many ways to cook and serve them. This dish pairs the slightly bitter taste of the wilted winter greens against the sweetness of the oranges and scallops. Delicious.
- Calories: 392
- Fat: 7g
- Protein: 45g
- Sodium: 510mg
- Carbohydrates: 32g
- Fiber: 11g
- Sugar: 10g
Nutritional Information (per serving)
- 2 pounds sea scallops, about 24 pieces
7 teaspoons olive oil
4 tablespoons cracked black peppercorns
2 naval oranges, peeled and segmented, with juice reserved
3 cups chopped broccoli rabe
3 cups chopped outer leaves curly endive
Zest of 2 navel oranges, grated
1 cup dry white wine
- Pat the scallops dry and drizzle with 6 teaspoons of the oil.
- Roll each scallop in the peppercorns to coat well.
- Lightly oil a heavy skillet with the remaining oil. Heat over a very high flame until hot. Sear each scallop for 1 minute on each side. Set aside. Discard any excess oil.
- In the same pan, sear the orange segments and set aside.
- Rinse broccoli rabe and endive in cold water, but do not dry.
- Add the greens to the pan and toss gently until wilted.
- Stir in the orange zest and reserved juice.
- Transfer the greens to a serving platter and arrange the scallops on top.
- Add the wine to the pan and simmer for 2 minutes to reduce the sauce by a third.
- Spoon the sauce over the scallops and garnish with the orange segments.
- A variety of greens may be used in this recipe. Use kale or savoy cabbage as a fall seasonal variation.
- Sliced boneless chicken breast or medallions of pork tenderloin may be substituted
- For a richer sauce, whisk in 1 cup of cream after the wine and simmer for 5 additional minutes.