- Makes: 15 Servings
- Ready In: 4 hrs 20 mins
- Prep Time: 10-15 mins
- Cook Time: 4 hrs 10 mins
You’ll need room in your fridge for this roast to marinate, but it really helps the flavors sink in. The drippings make a tasty gravy too.
- Calories: 202
- Fat: 7g
- Protein: 25g
- Sodium: 794mg
- Carbohydrates: 8g
Nutritional Information (per serving)
- 5 pound pot roast
enough liquid made up of half and half of
wine vinegar and water to cover meat (approx. 1 ½ qrts of each)
2 teaspoons salt
1 large onion, sliced
2 bay leaves
3 ½ tablespoons cornstarch mixed with ½ cup cold water
- Place meat in non-metal bowl, and combine other ingredients except cornstarch.
- Pour over meat to cover.
- Put bowl in refrigerator and let stand 3-4 days, turning meat daily.
- At end of this time, take meat from bowl and dry off, straining and reserving brine.
- Brown on all sides and cook like pot roast with about 3 cups reserved brine.
- Simmer, covered for about 4 hours, adding more liquid if necessary.
- Remove meat from pot.
- Add cornstarch and water to liquid in pot.
- Add reserved brine if necessary to bring up volume to 3 ½ cups.
- Simmer, stirring, until gravy thickens.