- Makes: 4-5 Servings
- Ready In: 10 mins
- Prep Time: 10-15 mins
- Cook Time:
This salad is perfect for lunch on a warm day. With buttery avocados, crunchy hazelnuts, and juicy pink grapefruit segments, this salad is simply lovely. You could serve it for brunch with a hearty veggie fritatta. Delicious.
- Calories: 353
- Fat: 27g
- Protein: 7g
- Sodium: 22mg
- Carbohydrates: 23g
- Fiber: 11g
- Sugar: 4g
Nutritional Information (per serving)
- 1 ruby red grapefruit segmented, reserve juice for dressing
2 Haas avocados, cut in half, remove skin and slice into wedges (do this right before serving sothey don't turn brown and icky)
About 1/2 cup raw or toasted hazelnuts, cut in half.
1 head butter lettuce (also known as Boston Bibb)
Freshly ground pepper
Fluer de Sel, or any other really nice flaky sea salt
- Before diving in to the recipe, which is really simple and takes very little effort, I'd like to share a quick tip on how to supreme a grapefruit. This is the technique of removing segments of citrus, excluding the tough membrane which holds each meaty piece of fruit together. Use this for any citrus fruit.
- First step is to cut the very top and bottom off of the fruit, just enough to get through the rind, where the fruit begins. This helps stabilize the fruit as well as gives you a guide of where to cut around the fruit.
- Remove the rind and pith, (that white bitter skin between the fruit and rind).
- Once all the rind is removed, hold the fruit over a bowl, (this collects the juice that you will want to use for dressing).
- Cut in between each segment, in a wedge, and remove segment, leaving the membrane behind. Drop it into the bowl below and continue around the fruit.
- After all the segemnets have been removed, squeeze what you have, (we'll call it the skeleton), in your hand to collect all the juice left behind.
- Remove the segments from bowl and set aside, keeping the juice that you collected in the bowl.
- In the bowl with the reserved juice, add dijon and honey, salt and pepper. Whisk to combine, slowly add walnut oil. Adjust to your taste.
- Arrange salad on plates. Drizzle dressing over and sprinkle with sea salt and pepper.
- Serve immediate.