- Makes: 8 Servings
- Ready In: 50 mins
- Prep Time: 10-15 mins
- Cook Time: 40 mins
This soup has very few ingredients, allowing the smooth natural flavor of the butternut squash to come through. Taking the extra time to roast the squash first brings out a wonderful nutty flavor.
- Calories: 172
- Fat: 13g
- Protein: 6g
- Sodium: 172mg
- Carbohydrates: 10g
- Fiber: 2g
- Sugar: 3g
Nutritional Information (per serving)
- 1 large butternut squash, halved
1 quart chicken stock
1 cup roasted hazelnuts
Salt and pepper
Freshly found nutmeg
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Place the squash halves facedown on a baking sheet and roast 30 minutes, or until soft. Cool.
- Scoop out the squash seeds and discard. Scoop out the pulp and mix with the stock in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Strain the squash, reserving the stock. Puree the squash in a food processor with the hazelnuts. Add back to the stock. Blend well and season with the salt and pepper and nutmeg.
- Instead of adding the pureed squash and hazelnuts back to the sock, serve the puree as a vegetable side dish. Dot with two tablespoons of unsalted butter before serving.
- Use the squash puree as a quiche filling. Bake in a tart shell at 350F for 30 minutes.
- Use the squash puree as a filling for handmade ravioli.