- Makes: 4 Servings
- Ready In: 1 hr 25 mins
- Prep Time: 15-20 mins
- Cook Time: 1 hr 10 mins
These taste as good as they look , even better! What a blast kneading the fluffy potato with a little flour and arrowroot, rolling it into tiny logs, boiling then frying them to golden brown perfection. They taste way better than the tots you find in a bag. Coconut oil would be great to fry with, but can be very cost prohibitive. Peanut oil is good when frying occasionally.
- Calories: 510
- Fat: 22g
- Protein: 19g
- Sodium: 688mg
- Carbohydrates: 58g
- Fiber: 7g
- Sugar: 3g
Nutritional Information (per serving)
- 3 large baking potatoes, about 2 pounds, scrubbed
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons arrowroot
6 tablespoons whole wheat flour
1/2 cup pecorino romano cheese, grated
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 large egg, beaten
Peanut oil, for frying
- Preheat oven to 375°F and adjust rack to middle position.
- Place potatoes in oven and bake for about 1 hour until a knife can be inserted without resistance.
- Cool potatoes.
- Cut the cooled potatoes into large chunks and press them through a ricer into a large bowl.
- Discard the skins (I baked them in the oven with a little butter and salt until crispy - a great snack!).
- Add the arrowroot, flour, cheese, salt and egg to potatoes and stir until combined.
- Knead the mixture with your hands until it forms a soft dough.
- Cover the bowl with a clean towel and let it rest for 15 minutes.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil and also fill a large bowl with ice water.
- Divide the dough into 4 portions and roll each piece into a long rope about 1-inch thick.
- Cut the rope into 1 1/2-inch long pieces.
- Repeat with remaining 3 pieces of dough.
- Add 1/2 of gnocchi pieces to boiling water and cook until the dough rises to the top, about 45 seconds.
- Immediately remove from the pot with a slotted spoon and place into the bowl of ice water.
- Repeat with remaining dough. Using a slotted spoon, remove gnocchi from ice water and place on a dry, clean dish towel.
- Allow gnocchi to dry, about 30 minutes.
- Heat 2 inches of oil in a large saucepan to 375°.
- Carefully add 1/3 of the gnocchi to the oil and fry, turning the gnocchi until golden brown.
- Remove from oil and place on a baking sheet lined with paper towels.
- Repeat with remaining gnocchi.
- Sprinkle with salt and serve immediately with ketchup.
Print or email this post: