- Makes: 4 Servings
- Ready In: 20 mins
- Prep Time: 10-15 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
Recipe reprinted with permission from Feeding the Whole Family (third edition) by Cynthia Lair (Sasquatch Books, 2008).
Tofu can be bland. But if you marinate it and fry it in coconut oil it is flavorful with great texture.
- Calories: 217
- Fat: 16g
- Protein: 14g
- Sodium: 1347mg
- Carbohydrates: 5g
- Fiber: 2g
- Sugar: 1g
Nutritional Information (per serving)
3 cloves garlic, sliced
4-5 slices (1/8-inch thick) of fresh gingerroot
1 cup water
1 tablespoon brown rice vinegar
1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
1/3 cup tamari or shoyu
1 pound firm tofu
2 tablespoons unrefined coconut oil
- In the morning, combine all ingredients for marinade.
- Cut tofu into 1/2” slabs, and then cut slabs into triangles.
- Put marinade and tofu in a glass storage container with a tight-fitting lid for ½ hour to 8 hours. The longer it sits, the stronger the flavor in the tofu.
- Heat ½ of the coconut oil in a skillet to medium high.
- Remove tofu from marinade and pat dry with a paper towel. This will protect you from sputtering oil.
- Place ½ of the tofu pieces in oil and brown on both sides.
- Repeat with remaining oil and tofu. Set aside.