- Makes: 6 Servings
- Ready In: 25 mins
- Prep Time: 10-15 mins
- Cook Time: 15-20 mins
You will love making this soup, especially when it’s cold outside. A simmering soup makes the house smell yummy and gives children an opportunity to sample amazing flavors.
- Calories: 230
- Fat: 9g
- Protein: 9g
- Sodium: 1484mg
- Carbohydrates: 29g
- Fiber: 5g
- Sugar: 7g
Nutritional Information (per serving)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup fresh cilantro
1 cup corn kernels, fresh or canned
6 cups vegetable stock
1 cup rice
1 can (28 ounces) whole tomatoes
1 ripe tomato, chopped
2 teaspoons sea salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 chile pepper, seeded and chopped
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon wheat germ
1/4 cup grated Cheddar cheese
Blue corn tortilla chips, crushed
1/4 cup cilantro
- Pour the oil into a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- When the oil is hot, add the onion, garlic, cilantro, corn,and a dash of salt and pepper. Cook until the onion is tender. Set aside.
- Combine the stock, rice, canned and fresh tomatoes, salt, black pepper, chile pepper, chili powder, and wheat germ in a large stockpot.
- Squeeze the juice from the lemon into the pot.
- Add the reserved onion mixture. Stir together.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes, or until the rice is cooked well.
- Serve with your choice of garnishes: some Cheddar, a dollop of sour cream, lime juice, tortilla chips, or cilantro.
If your toddler cannot eat crunchy tortilla chips, let a few crumbled pieces soak in the soup to soften before serving
Print or email this post: