- Makes: 4 Servings
- Ready In: 27 mins
- Prep Time: 10-15 mins
- Cook Time: 17-20 mins
This dish is simple. Many accouterments are often added but are not necessary. Buying fresh eggs from pastured hens makes the flavor deeper and richer. Fire-Roasted chopped tomatoes with green chilies is an excellent product to use.
- Calories: 244
- Fat: 12g
- Protein: 11g
- Sodium: 501mg
- Carbohydrates: 24g
- Fiber: 5g
- Sugar: 4g
Nutritional Information (per serving)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 cup chopped onion
3 cloves garlic, minced
3 chili peppers: serrano, habanero, jalapeño
16-oz can chopped tomatoes
pinch sea salt
pinch chili powder
1 tablespoon butter
4 corn tortillas
Toppings and Sides:
grated pepper jack cheese or sour cream
slices of ripe avocado
black beans (Black Bean Stew works well)
- Heat oil in a medium-size skillet. Add onion, garlic, chilies, tomatoes, salt, and chili powder. Bring sauce to boil. Reduce heat and let simmer about 10 minutes.
- In a second frying pan, heat butter a little at a time. Fry tortillas for about 30 seconds on each side and set aside in a warm place.
- Heat a teaspoon or two more of butter over low heat until melted. Crack each egg into a small bowl; gently pour each egg into the skillet. Cook covered 3 minutes, remove cover, and cook for a few minutes more or until the yolk is set, but barely undercooked.
- Place tortilla on a plate with egg on top. Cover egg with the sauce. The sauce will cook the top of the egg.
- Serve with shredded cheese or sour cream on top, avocado and beans on the side if you desire.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Feeding the Whole Family (third edition) by Cynthia Lair (Sasquatch Books, 2008).