- Makes: Makes enough to stuff two 12-15 pound turkeys or 1 9X13 pan (12-16 Servings)
- Ready In: 2 hrs 15 mins
- Prep Time: 1 hr 30 mins
- Cook Time: 45 mins
The better the bread that you use, the better the stuffing will be. Choose bread that is savory or
neutral, not sweet. Ask a friend to help and make a lot – it is so good.
- Calories: 129
- Fat: 6g
- Protein: 3g
- Sodium: 75mg
- Carbohydrates: 15g
- Fiber: 2g
- Sugar: 3g
Nutritional Information (per serving)
- 8-10 whole chestnuts
8 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 onion, chopped
1 loaf whole grain bread
3-4 stalks celery, chopped
1 apple, chopped
1 cup fresh cranberries
Fresh sage (lots), chopped
Black pepper (lots)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cut an x on the flat side of each chestnut. Place in a baking dish and bake about 20 minutes, until the shell comes away from the meat. Set aside and let cool.
- Melt butter in a large skillet. Add onions and sauté until soft.
- Cut bread into small cubes and place in a large bowl.
- Add celery, apples, cranberries, and toss.
- Add butter and onions and work fat into the bread mixture.
- Put ¼ - ½ cup hot water into skillet used for butter and onion and heat water. Pour this over bread mixture and work in with hands.
- Peel chestnuts, cut into pieces and add.
- Add all herbs, salt and pepper.
- Taste the mixture. Make sure the taste pleases you. If needed add more seasonings.
- Stuffing is ready to be put into the turkey cavity.
- You can also put it in a covered 9x13 baking dish and bake at 350 degrees F. for about 45 minutes to use as a side dish.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Feeding the Whole Family (third edition) by Cynthia Lair (Sasquatch Books, 2008).