- Makes: 4-6 Servings
- Ready In: 1 hr 5 mins
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 45 mins
You will love this meal. It’s simple. It’s quick. It’s hearty and affordable. You’ll spend about $15 and get a huge pasta meal that feeds 6. If you’re feeding fewer
people, you’ll have leftovers, which also taste great cold! And, if you want to save a few bucks and keep it vegetarian, skip the sausage. It’s still delicious.
- Calories: 464
- Fat: 17g
- Protein: 24g
- Sodium: 950mg
- Carbohydrates: 32g
- Fiber: 2g
- Sugar: 3g
Nutritional Information (per serving)
- 2 pints cherry or grape tomatoes
1/3 c olive oil, plus more for sauteing sausage
1 lb penne
1 lb sweet italian sausage (turkey or pork), cut into 1" pieces (optional)
7 oz ricotta (about 1/2 of a 15 oz container)
salt and pepper
- Heat oven to 400 degrees and roast tomatoes: throw them in a roasting pan with 1/3 c olive oil and a healthy sprinkle of salt.
- Cook for 45 minutes, unattended.
- 15 minutes into your roasting time, put a large pot of salted water on medium-high heat (about 6 quarts water to 2 tablespoons salt).
- Bring to a boil. Add penne and cook until al dente.
- Drain, saving a mugful of cooking water.
- Set pasta aside.
- Very lightly coat the bottom of the pot you cooked your pasta in with olive oil.
- When hot, add sausage and saute until cooked through, about 5-10 minutes.
- Use a slotted spoon to remove cooked sausage from pot and drain remaining fat.
- Return pasta to pot. Add sausage and roasted tomatoes, complete with oil and accumulated juices.
- Stir in ricotta and season with salt and pepper.
- The oil and juices from the tomatoes should thin the ricotta nicely. If not -- if it's too thick -- use some of the reserved pasta cooking water to thin it to your desired consistency.