- Makes: 12 Servings
- Ready In: 1 hr 10 mins
- Prep Time: 10-15 mins
- Cook Time: 60 mins
Thick enough to be called stew, this hearty soup is made in a single pot.
- Calories: 169
- Fat: 5g
- Protein: 7g
- Sodium: 831mg
- Carbohydrates: 22g
Nutritional Information (per serving)
- 2 cups lentils about 1 lb
¾ cups barley
8 cups water or vegetable stock
1 large onion, chopped
2 medium carrots, diced
2 stalks celery, sliced
½ teaspoon each dried oregano and ground cumin
¼ teaspoon black pepper
¼ teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
1 ½ teaspoon salt
- Add more water or stock if you desire a thinner soup.
- The recipe makes quite a large quantity, so you can freeze half for later use.
- Place all ingredients except salt into a large kettle and bring to a simmer.
- Cover and cook for 1 hour, stirring occasionally, until lentils and barley are tender.
- Add salt to taste.