This hearty chicken and tortellini soup fits the bill when you are sick or have sick kids. It is a soup that is quick, nutritious, warm and bubbly, all the right elements for sick-bed comfort food. The beauty of this recipe is its flexibility. You can add almost any ingredients you want. For example, sun-dried tomato chicken sausage or regular sliced chicken breasts or even, pork sausage. If you are a vegetarian you can use vegetable broth and omit the chicken altogether. Use fresh fluffy cheese tortellini or frozen ravioli if you prefer.
Hearty Chicken & Tortellini Soup Recipe Summary
- Cuisine: Italian
- Course: Soup
- Skill Level: Easy
- 2 Tbls olive oil
- 12 oz. chicken sausage, sliced (I prefer sun-dried tomato flavor for this soup)
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 9 oz. fresh cheese tortellini
- 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes with juice
- 8 oz. baby spinach, roughly chopped
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Parmesan Cheese to taste
- Calories: 205
- Protein: 11
- Fat: 10
- Sodium: 649
- Carbohydrates: 17
- Fiber: 2
- Sugar: 1
- In a deep heavy-bottom pot heat olive oil.
- Add garlic, onion and chicken sausage.
- Cook until onion is wilted and sausage is cooked through.
- Add chicken or vegetable broth and Italian seasoning.
- Bring contents to a boil and add tortellini.
- Boil just until tortellini is cooked through (don’t over cook).
- Lower heat, stir in tomatoes and simmer for about 10-15 minutes.
- Add spinach and cook until wilted.
- Season soup with salt and pepper to our taste.
- Serve hot with a generous handful or parmesan on top and a crusty baguette on the side.