- Makes: 12-15 Servings
- Ready In:
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
This recipe uses a piece of equipment called a dehydrator. If you aren’t ready, this same technique can be performed in the oven, but it will tie up the oven for a good long while. Also, be sure to check out the asterisks below. They give several variations that you may find useful.
- Calories: 403
- Fat: 22g
- Protein: 13g
- Sodium: 181mg
- Carbohydrates: 40g
- Fiber: 7g
- Sugar: 8g
Nutritional Information (per serving)
- 4 cups rolled oats
4 cups warm filtered water
8 tbsp whey or lemon juice
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup raw honey *
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp powdered green stevia **
1 tsp sea salt
1 cup dehydrated walnuts, roughly broken with hands ***
1 cup dehydrated almonds, roughly chopped
1/2 cup dehydrated sunflower seeds
1/2 cup dehydrated pumpkin seeds
1 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
1/2 cup dried currants ****
- Soaked Oat Instructions:
- Two days before - In a large bowl, combine rolled oats, warm water and whey or lemon juice. Stir gently to combine.
- Cover with a kitchen towel and set in a warm place for 24 - 36 hours.
- In a fine mesh strainer, rinse well. Gently spread soaked oats evenly onto a dehydrator tray lined with a mesh insert.
- Dehydrate at 150˚ for 12 hours, until thoroughly dried.
- Remove and cool.
- Once cool, granola may be made immediately, or oats may be stored in an airtight container for several days, ready & waiting for granola preparation.
- Preheat oven to 350˚.
- Locate a non-stick sheet pan or a regular sheet pan lined with parchment paper.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt butter.
- Once nearly melted, add honey, cinnamon, stevia and sea salt.
- Whisk well to combine.
- While butter is melting, crumble oats onto the prepared sheet pan. No big chunks should remain.
- Add walnuts, almonds, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds and coconut flakes.
- Once honey-butter mixture is prepared, evenly pour mixture overtop of oat-nut mixture.
- Using a spatula, stir until well combined; ensure every piece of dried oat gets a light coating of butter.
- Spread evenly before baking for 10 minutes.
- Remove and stir.
- Spread evenly and bake for 5 minutes.
- Remove and stir.
- Spread evenly and bake for 5 additional minutes, for a combined total of 20 baking minutes.
- Remove and immediately stir in currants until well combined.
- Cool completely before storing in an airtight container at room temperature for up to a week.
- Or transfer to the freezer for several months.