- Makes: 8 Servings
- Ready In: 30 mins
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
This quick and portable quinoa salad has it all: complete protein, whole-grain goodness, orange and green vegetables, fruit, and a small amount of healthy oil. This mix means it’s full of vitamins, minerals, anti-oxidants, phytonutrients, and fiber plus whatever extra goodness came with your broth.
Cook quinoa the night before and chill, then toss with fresh seasonal vegetables. Use the carrots and bok choy suggested here or whatever is freshest at your market: sugar-snap peas, spring onions, bell pepper, tomatoes, or grated summer squash.
- Calories: 155
- Fat: 5g
- Protein: 4g
- Sodium: 341mg
- Carbohydrates: 26g
- Fiber: 3g
- Sugar: 8g
Nutritional Information (per serving)
- 1 cup quinoa (170 grams)
1 1/2 cup broth from your broth jar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 large carrots (100 grams)
2 1/2 cup thinly sliced bok choy or cabbage(175 grams)
1/2 cup raisins (80 grams)
juice and zest from one lemon (or 3 tablespoons lemon juice)
2 tablespoons olive oil
- Bring quinoa, water, and salt to a boil in a small, covered pot over high heat.
- Reduce heat to simmer and cook for 15 minutes.
- Turn off heat and let quinoa rest covered on warm burner for five minutes. (Don’t peek or you’ll let out the steam!).
- Allow to cool to room temperature. At this point, you can chill it for up to four days until you are ready to finish making the salad.
- Grate carrots and slice bok choy into thin strips about 1/4 inch wide.
- Mix lemon juice and olive oil to make a dressing.
- Put quinoa, carrots, cabbage, and raisins in a large bowl and toss to mix.
- Drizzle dressing (such as my Strawberry Vinaigrette) over salad and toss again.
- Serve at room temperature or chilled.