- Makes: 8 Servings
- Ready In: 12 mins
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 7-10 mins
Summer squash is cheap, easy to grow, and good for you. But many recipes for yellow squash or zucchini are watery, bland, or have loads of butter or cheese. The trick to making squash a favorite summer vegetable? Grill it! The dry heat gets rid of the extra water and the smoky, grilled flavor makes squash downright interesting. Eat it hot one day and cool as a salad the next.
- Calories: 19
- Fat: 1g
- Protein: 1g
- Sodium: 2mg
- Carbohydrates: 2g
- Fiber: 1g
- Sugar: 1g
Nutritional Information (per serving)
4 summer squash (yellow squash, zucchini, or a mix)
1 clove garlic
2 teaspoons plus 2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/8 teaspoon mustard
salt and pepper to taste
- Start grill. Rinse squash and cut off stem ends and any bad spots. Cut in half lengthwise.
- Peel garlic and cut in half lengthwise, so you have four freshly cut sides. Rub garlic on cut side of squash. Save garlic for dressing.
- Drizzle squash with about 2 teaspoons of olive oil and rub to coat.
- Put squash on grill skin side down. Cover and cook for 4 or 5 minutes, until skin shows grill marks and squash gives a little when you poke it with a fork.
- Meanwhile, make the dressing by mincing garlic. In a small jar or glass, shake or whisk together minced garlic, lemon juice, remaining olive oil, and mustard. Taste and add salt and pepper as desired.
- Turn squash over and grill for another 3 to 5 minutes, until grill marks show on cut side and you can easily push a fork into squash. Remove from grill, cut into bite-sized pieces.
- Serve half the squash hot or at room temperature. Pour dressing over remaining squash and refrigerate, serving cold or at room temperature within two or three days.
- Mix in chopped tomatoes or basil for another twist on the same recipe. Add cold, cooked black beans or chickpeas and you've got lunch.
- Top pizza with grilled summer squash.
- If you don't have a grill, cut squash into bite-sized pieces after rubbing it with garlic and before coating with oil. Bake at 425 degrees for about 20 minutes.