- Makes: 8-10 Servings
- Ready In: 1 hr 40 mins
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 1 hr 20 mins
One of the foundations of many, many casseroles is a can of cream of mushroom soup. Condensed canned soups leave much to be desired in taste and also contain many processed ingredients. If your goal is to cook with real food, but you have recipes in your repertoire that call for cream of mushroom soup, then I encourage you to try and make your own. It only takes about 15 minutes and the flavors in your dish will increase ten-fold.
This is the perfect dish that will please almost anyone, but with extra depth of flavor. The casserole keeps very well in the fridge and can be made a day ahead of time and then heated in the oven before serving.
- Calories: 273
- Fat: 21g
- Protein: 6g
- Sodium: 84mg
- Carbohydrates: 16g
- Fiber: 5g
- Sugar: 5g
Nutritional Information (per serving)
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons coconut oil
sea salt and freshly cracked pepper
2 pounds green beans, trimmed and halved
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 pound button mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
3 tablespoons whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cups chicken stock
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 425°F and adjust rack to middle position.
- In a large bowl, toss together red onion and coconut oil and season generously with salt and pepper.
- Spread onions out on a large baking sheet and roast for 20 minutes.
- Stir onions and put back in oven for another 15 minutes or until onions loose most of their moisture and begin to brown.
- Remove from oven and set aside.
- Reduce heat in oven to 375°F.
- Fill a large pot with water and bring to a boil.
- Add the green beans to the water and boil for 6 minutes.
- Drain and rinse with cold water to stop the cooking process. Set aside.
- Melt butter over medium heat in a large skillet.
- When foaming subsides add the mushrooms and season generously with salt and pepper. Saute until mushrooms have released their moisture and the edges begin to turn golden brown, about 10 minutes.
- Add the flour and stir constantly until incorporated, about 1 minute.
- Gradually add the chicken stock and then the cream, whisking constantly to avoid lumping.
- Reduce heat and simmer until sauce thickens, 5-6 minutes.
- Toss together mushroom mixture and green beans and then pour into a 13x9 baking dish.
- Top with red onions and bake until bubbling, about 20-25 minutes.
Print or email this post: