- Makes: 8 Servings
- Ready In: 60 mins
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 45-50 mins
Butter gives the crust flavor, the coconut oil or lard adds texture, flakiness.
Vodka, which is 60% water and 40% alcohol, adds moisture without perpetuating gluten formation since gluten doesn’t form in ethanol. The alcohol vaporizes during baking. Because of this the dough may seem a little moister than usual when you roll it out.
- Calories: 268
- Fat: 18g
- Protein: 4g
- Sodium: 148mg
- Carbohydrates: 23g
- Fiber: 2g
Nutritional Information (per serving)
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1 cup unbleached white flour
½ teaspoon sea salt
8 tablespoons cold, unsalted butter
4 tablespoons unrefined coconut oil
¼ + cup ice water (OR 3 tablespoons ice cold vodka and 3+ tablespoons ice water)
- Put flours and salt in a food processor and pulse 20 seconds. Add chunks of butter and coconut oil and pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add ice water, drop by drop, through the feed tube with the machine running until dough forms a ball and holds together. Remove dough from processor and form into a rough ball, and then transfer to a lightly floured surface.
- If you do not have a food processor, use a pastry cutter or two table knives, cut butter and coconut oil into chilled flour until it resembles coarse meal with pea-size pieces of fat. Sprinkle in water, stirring dough with a fork until it begins to hold together.
- Give dough several quick kneads until it becomes smooth. Divide in half, shape into 2 balls, flatten each ball slightly to make a disk. Wrap each disk in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes and up to 8 hours before using.
- Roll out half of your pie crust dough on a floured surface. Fold in half and in half again. Gently place in pie pan, unfold, and press in.
- Place filling in layers in bottom pie shell. Cover pie with upper crust, crimp the edge of the two crusts together and trim. Prick the top of the pie so that steam can release. Bake until edges of crust are golden, about 45-50 minutes.