- Makes: 3 loaves (12-18 Servings)
- Ready In: 43 mins
- Prep Time: 10-15 mins
- Cook Time: 33-38 mins
Applesauce bread is very old-fashioned American style baking, rich, and moist, with a remarkably fresh flavor. It is a full-flavored bread, pungent with the combination of sweet spices and the texture is fantastic despite no eggs. Notice the use of healthy light olive oil, which is neutral and has no flavor of its own, so it is great for baking, but you can use any vegetable or safflower oil (if you use canola oil, only use organic since the plant is a member of the cotton family and the most highly sprayed). This recipe is just sweet enough to satisfy the most fussy breakfast or snack sweet tooth.
- Calories: 151
- Fat: 6g
- Protein: 2g
- Sodium: 220mg
- Carbohydrates: 23g
- Fiber: 1g
- Sugar: 11g
Nutritional Information (per serving)
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
3/4 cup dried cranberries, chopped if possible, or chopped walnuts (optional)
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon ground allspice
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup packed light or dark brown sugar
1 1/2 cups unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup light olive oil
- Set the oven rack to the lower third position and preheat the oven to 325º.
- Spray three 6-x-3-inch loaf pans with nonstick vegetable cooking spray or grease.<
- n a medium bowl, combine the flour, cranberries, baking soda, baking powder, spices, and salt.
- In a small bowl, combine the sugar, applesauce, and oil; stir until smooth.
- Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and pour in.
- Vigorously stir with a spatula to make a just-moistened batter that is evenly combined and creamy in consistency, about 25 strokes; do not over mix.
- Divide the batter evenly between the prepared pans.
- Bake in the center of the oven for 33 to 38 minutes.
- When done, the edges will contract slightly from the sides of the pan and a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let the loaves rest in the pan 5 minutes before turning out onto a rack to cool, right side up.
- Store at room temperature, wrapped tightly in plastic wrap.
- To freeze, cut one loaf into 6 even slices, and leaving in the loaf shape, slide into a plastic freezer bag. Freeze up to 2 months. Remove as many slices as desired the night before and defrost at room temperature, then warm gently in the microwave before serving.