- Makes: 1 cake (16-20 Servings)
- Ready In: 1 hr 45 mins
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 1 hr 30 mins
You must make this cake. Even if you don’t really enjoy apple cake or coconut. This cake is the bomb. It begins with a wonderful cake, moist and sweet with bits of coconut and pecans. Then it adds an extra step. When the cake comes out of the oven, you pour over a mixture of butter, buttermilk, whole cane sugar, and vanilla and let it soak in. The result? A caramel-like buttery outside everyone will fight for.
It’s meant to be served at breakfast,but it’s well suited for dessert. You’ll be glad you tried it.
- Calories: 595
- Fat: 36g
- Protein: 6g
- Sodium: 146mg
- Carbohydrates: 51g
- Fiber: 6g
- Sugar: 34g
Nutritional Information (per serving)
- 2 cups organic whole cane sugar or sucanat (to read more about this sugar click here)
3 large eggs
1 1/2 cups coconut oil
1/4 cup orange juice
3 cups whole wheat pastry flour (freshly ground preferred)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
3 cups grated fuji apples (I left the skins on)
1 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
1 cup chopped pecans (optional)
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1 cup organic whole cane sugar
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Preheat the oven to 325°F and adjust rack to middle position.
- Stir together whole cane sugar, eggs, oil, orange juice, whole wheat flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and vanilla in a large bowl.
- Fold in apples, coconut and pecans (if using).
- Pour the batter into a buttered bundt pan.
- Bake for 1 1/2 hours until cake tester comes out clean.
- Sauce: Put butter, whole cane sugar, buttermilk, and baking soda in a medium pan over medium heat. Bring to a boil and boil for 1 minute.
- As soon as the cake comes out of the oven, pour butter mixture over hot cake.
- Let the cake stand for 1 hour and then turn it out onto a cake stand.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.