- Makes: 24 Appetizers (24 Servings)
- Ready In: 28 mins
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 8-10 mins
These fish tacos don’t fall under the authentic category, especially when you add in the wasabi creme fraiche. But the flavors meld together surprising well, and offer a nice alternative to your typical fish taco. They also make a fabulous appetizer that will feed a crowd!
- Calories: 122
- Fat: 9g
- Protein: 6g
- Sodium: 89mg
- Carbohydrates: 5g
- Fiber: 1g
- Sugar: 2g
Nutritional Information (per serving)
- 24 wonton wrappers (find them in your produce section of the grocery store)
1/4 cup canola or vegetable oil
3 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for drizzling
3 tilapia fillets, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 avocado, halved, pitted and cut into small cubes
1 mango, peeled and flesh cut into small cubes
3 green onions, finely chopped
3 cups coarsely chopped baby arugula
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice (from about 2 limes)
1/2 cup creme fraiche (I just used sour cream and called it a day)
1 tablespoon wasabi powder (I get mine in the international aisle of my grocery store)
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- For the wonton cups:
- Put an oven rack in the center of the oven. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Using a pastry brush, brush each side of the wonton wrappers with canola oil. Gently press the wonton wrappers into the bottom and sides of two 12-count muffin pans. Bake until lightly golden, about 6 minutes (watch them carefully; they burn easily).
- Remove the pan from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Gently lift the wonton cups out of the pan and cool completely, about 10 minutes.
- In a large, nonstick skillet, heat 3 tablespoons olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Drizzle the tilapia fillets with olive oil and season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Arrange the fish in a single layer in the pan and cook until the flesh is flaky and cooked through, about 2 to 3 minutes on each side.
- Set aside to cool slightly.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the 3 tablespoons of olive oil and the lime juice.
- Season with salt, to taste.
- Add the avocado, mango, green onions, and arugula.
- Toss until all the ingredients are coated.
- In a small bowl, mix together the creme fraiche, wasabi powder and salt until smooth.
- Put the wonton cups on a platter and divide the avocado mixture into the cups.
- Top each with a small piece of fish.
- Spoon about 1 to 2 teaspoons of the creme fraiche mixture on top of the fish.
- Serve and enjoy!
Note: I made 24 appetizers in a regular sized muffin pan, but serving them this way requires utensils; making them in mini-muffins tins would be a nice way to serve them as bite-size appetizers