- Makes: 36 Servings
- Ready In: 20 mins
- Prep Time: 10-15 mins
- Cook Time: 10-12 mins
Cowboy Cookies are traditionally huge. I suggest sticking with smaller cookies since they build in portion control for kids and breastfeeding moms for whom it’s especially important to eat regularly and maintain a super balanced diet. But, of course, do as you like! These are your cookies now, m’am.
- Calories: 167
- Fat: 10g
- Protein: 3g
- Sodium: 111mg
- Carbohydrates: 18g
- Fiber: 2g
- Sugar: 9g
Nutritional Information (per serving)
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
8 tablespoons (4 ounces) unsalted butter, room temperature
1/4 cup (2 ounces) coconut oil, preferably unrefined
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1 1/2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
1 cup unsweetened flaked coconut
1 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup hemp seeds
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, use an electric or stand mixer on medium speed to beat together butter and coconut oil until smooth and creamy. Gradually add both granulated and light brown sugar and beat for another 2 minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each one, and the vanilla.
- Reduce mixer speed to low and gradually add flour mixture, mixing until just combined. Using a wooden spoon, stir in chocolate chips, oats, coconut, walnuts and hemp seeds until well incorporated.
- For smaller cookies (perfectly sized for little ones and as a healthy treat for breastfeeding mamas), drop a rounded teaspoon of dough on the sheet per cookie. Bake smaller cookies for 10-12 minutes, rotating sheets midway through, until edges turn golden brown. Allow cookies to cool on the baking sheet for about 2-3 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for several days.
Note: The directions and nutritional information above is for smaller cookies. For traditional super-sized Cowboy Cookies drop about a 1/4 cup of dough onto baking sheets for each cookie, spacing 3 inches apart. Bake large cookies for 8 to 9 minutes, then rotate sheets before baking for an additional 8 to 9 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.