- Makes: 6-8 Servings
- Ready In: 24 mins
- Prep Time: 20-25 mins
- Cook Time: 4 mins
Persimmons, the quintessential winter fruit, bring both color and flavor to this perfect holiday salad. The candied ginger, goat cheese, and spiced nuts add some excitement to its traditional Italian flavors. Shopping seasonally and, of course, locally whenever possible saves fuel, water, and other energy costs from not having food trucked in from far away places. Check out the Natural Resources Defense Council’s link on eating locally; you can actually plug in your zip code to find out local growers near you.
- Calories: 335
- Fat: 25g
- Protein: 11g
- Sodium: 366mg
- Carbohydrates: 18g
- Fiber: 9g
- Sugar: 7g
Nutritional Information (per serving)
- For the Spiced Walnuts
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 cup walnut pieces
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon salt
For the Balsamic Dressing
2-1/4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
3/4 teaspoon agave nectar or honey
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
4-1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
For the Salad
4 ounces soft goat cheese, at room temperature
2 teaspoons finely chopped candied ginger
5 to 6 ounces baby arugula or mixed baby greens
3 heads Belgian endive, finely sliced
1 small head radicchio, finely sliced
2 small firm Fuyu persimmons, finely sliced
1 cup pomegranate seeds
- To make the Spiced Walnuts:
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Melt the butter in a medium pan over medium-high heat. Add the walnuts and cook for 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add the sugar, spices, and salt and stir for 1 more minute.
- Transfer the walnuts to the baking sheet, making sure the nuts are separated. Let cool for at least 15 minutes.
- To make the Balsamic Dressing:
- In a small bowl, stir together the vinegar, agave nectar or honey, salt, and pepper until well blended.
- Whisk in the olive oil until mixture has emulsified.
- In a small bowl, combine the goat cheese and candied ginger.
- Cover and place in the refrigerator for 30 minutes, or until ready to serve.
- To assemble the salad, place the arugula or baby greens, endive, radicchio, persimmon pieces and pomegranate seeds in a medium bowl.
- Pour the dressing over the top and gently toss until evenly coated.
- Place the salad on individual plates and crumble the goat cheese and ginger evenly over each.
- Top with spiced walnuts.