- Makes: 8 Servings
- Ready In: 55 mins
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
The honey curry dressing for this rice salad is so good you can give it by the jar for gifts, but it’s just as nice on romaine or butter lettuce. Even if curry is not your thing, this dressing will have you licking your lips. To make this salad, use brown rice to make sure you get all the nutrients found in whole grains. Serve the salad nice and cold.
- Calories: 566
- Fat: 29g
- Protein: 10g
- Sodium: 313mg
- Carbohydrates: 67g
- Fiber: 8g
- Sugar: 19g
Nutritional Information (per serving)
- 2 cups brown rice
4 cups water
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup pine nuts
2/3 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup plain yogurt
1/3 cup sour cream
1/4 cup chutney
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons honey
2 1/2 teaspoons curry powder disolved in 1 tablespoon hot red raspberry vinegar
4 green onions, chopped with part of the green
1 large tart apple, peeled, cored, and chopped
1 cup chopped dried apricots
One 12-ounce package frozen petit peas, defrosted
- Place the rice in a bowl and fill with cold water. Swish it around with your fingers. Carefully pour off the water, wash, and drain well a few times until the water runs clear.
- Place the rice in a rice cooker. Add the water and salt to the rice bowl; swirl to combine.
- Close the cover and program for the regular cooking cycle.
- When the timer sounds, let the rice rest 10 minutes on the Keep Warm cycle.
- Open the cover, fluff with the rice and cool to room temperature right in the cooker bowl.
- Preheat the oven to 350º. Place the nuts on a clean baking sheet and lightly toast for 5 minutes.
- Remove from the nuts from the oven, cool to room temperature, and set aside.
- Prepare the dressing. In a food processor, combine the mayonnaise, yogurt, sour cream, chutney, lemon juice, honey, and curried vinegar.
- Pulse a few times to combine and chop the chutney.
- Scrape into a bowl, cover, and refrigerate.
- Place the room temperature rice in a medium salad bowl.
- Add the green onion, celery, apple, apricots, peas, and pine nuts.
- With a large spatula combine the salad ingredients with the dressing to lightly coat, reserving any extra dressing in the refrigerator.
- Store in the refrigerator and serve salad chilled.
Print or email this post: