- Makes: 10 Servings
- Ready In: 1 hr 15 mins
- Prep Time: 10-15 mins
- Cook Time: 1 hr 5 mins
This soup is flavorful, hearty, and very delicious. It is sure to be a big hit with the whole family.
- Calories: 227
- Fat: 4g
- Protein: 10g
- Sodium: 387mg
- Carbohydrates: 36g
- Fiber: 3g
- Sugar: 6g
Nutritional Information (per serving)
- 4 slices of lean bacon, cooked and crumbled
1 large leek, white and light green parts only, washed and chopped
2 stalks of celery, chopped
1 shallot, diced
5 cloves of garlic, minced
4 large Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
8 cups of chicken stock
1 tsp of thyme
Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste
1 cup of low fat milk
Cheddar cheese, for topping
Fresh parsley, chopped
- Cook the bacon over medium heat in a large Dutch oven.
- Once the bacon is crisp, remove and place on a paper towel. Crumble into little bits and set aside for garnish.
- Add the leeks, celery, and shallots to the Dutch oven (add a bit more olive oil if there isn't much bacon grease). Cook on low until tender and soft, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes.
- Add the potatoes, stock, thyme, sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste.
- Cook until the potatoes are tender, about 45 minutes.
- Once the potatoes are tender, remove the bay leaf.
- Blend the soup just a little bit with an immersion blender being careful to keep most of the soup chunky.
- Add milk, taste and re-season if needed.
- Serve hot with cheddar cheese, bacon bits, and fresh parsley sprinkled on top. Enjoy.