- Makes: 1 (8 Servings)
- Ready In: 1 hr 45 mins
- Prep Time: 60 mins
- Cook Time: 45-50 mins
Here is an updated version of the all American classic. This recipe makes two 9” pie crusts and an 8 slice pie and uses healthier whole wheat flour and coconut oil in the crusts and brown sugar in the filling. What could be more of a treat than this? Maybea scoop of homemade vanilla ice cream on the side.
- Calories: 358
- Fat: 18g
- Protein: 4g
- Sodium: 185mg
- Carbohydrates: 46g
- Fiber: 4g
- Sugar: 21g
Nutritional Information (per serving)
2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
½ teaspoon sea salt
8 tablespoons cold, unsalted butter
4 tablespoons unrefined coconut oil
¼ cup ice water
5-7 tart, sweet apples
½ cup unrefined cane sugar or brown sugar
1/8 teaspoon sea salt
1 tablespoon arrowroot
½ teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- Make your crusts first and chill for at least ½ hour. Here's one of my favorite's -- Whole Grain Butter Pie Crust Recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Peel apples if desired. Quarter, core and cut apples into thin slices.
- Combine unrefined cane sugar, salt, arrowroot and spices and sprinkle over apples. Amounts of sweetener and spices are variable. The amounts given make for a mildly sweet, lightly spiced pie.
- Toss gently until they are evenly coated.
- Roll out half of your pie crust dough on a floured surface. Fold in half and in half again. Gently place in pie pan (a regular glass pie pan works best according to Cooks Illustrated) , unfold, and press into the pie pan.
- Place apples in layers in bottom pie shell.
- Cover pie with upper crust, crimp the edge of the two crusts together and trim.
- Prick the top of the pie so steam can release.
- Bake until edges of crust are golden, about 45-50 minutes.
Print or email this post: