- Makes: 4 Servings
- Ready In: 50 mins
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 35-45 mins
Teach your kids to love all different spices with this fun and ethnic recipe. Flavorful food without the fat and sugar!
- Calories: 258
- Sodium: mg
Nutritional Information (per serving)
- 1 cup fat free yogurt 1 small onion, coarsely chopped 4 garlic cloves 1 1/2 piece ginger root, peeled and coarsely chopped 2 tsp. ground coriander 1 tsp. ground cumin 1/2 tsp. ground turmeric 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon 1/4 tsp. ground clove 1/4 tsp. ground mace 1/4 tsp. grated nutmeg 2 Tbsp. canola oil Juice of 1/2 lemon (2 to 3 Tbsp.) 2 whole chicken breasts, split and skinned
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In blender or food processor, combine yogurt, onion, garlic and ginger; purée.
- Add coriander, cumin, turmeric, cinnamon, cloves, mace, nutmeg, oil and lemon juice; blend.
- Cut 2 slits in each piece of chicken, slashing it along the grain to make slit 2 to 3 inches long and almost, but not completely into bone.
- Place chicken in plastic bag or a glass, stainless steel or plastic container large enough to hold the pieces in one layer.
- Pour yogurt mixture over the chicken and rub to be sure it coats the meat on all sides.
- Marinate chicken in refrigerator one hour to overnight.
- Arrange chicken in one layer in shallow baking dish.
- Bake until juices run clear when breast is pierced with knife at its thickest point and no pink shows in center, 35 to 45 minutes, depending on the size of breasts.
- Serve, accompanied by cooked brown rice and a green salad.
- Options: Let the chicken cool and use to make an Indian chicken salad, with green peas, mango, scallions and cooked rice in a yogurt dressing with chutney.
Tip: Cooking for Two? Halve the recipe, or use the leftover chicken to make a salad or soup.