Bananas, cottage cheese, and wheat germ turn ordinary pancakes into a nutrition-packed power pancakes breakfast treat.
Power Pancakes Recipe Summary
- Cuisine: American
- Course: Breakfast
- Skill Level: Moderate
- 2 small overripe bananas
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup cottage cheese
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp wheat germ
- butter for cooking
- Calories: 220
- Protein: 8 g
- Fat: 5 g
- Sodium: 238 mg
- Carbohydrates: 37 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Sugar: 19 g
- In a medium bowl, mash the bananas with a fork or potato masher.
- Add the milk, cottage cheese, egg and honey and whisk to blend.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt and wheat germ.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry all at once and mix gently just until incorporated; do not overbeat.
- Preheat a heavy cast-iron skillet or griddle over medium heat.
- Grease with butter, then pour on the batter, using about 1/4 cup per pancake.
- Cook the pancakes for one or two minutes per side, until firm to the touch and golden brown.
- Top them with your favorite yogurt and fresh fruit to make a complete meal.
Get Dr. Greene's Wellness Recommendations
Sign up now for a delightful weekly email with insights for the whole family. Plus Dr. Greene's FREE Top 5 Wellness Tips For 2017.