My generous neighbor Jack, who happens to have an amazing green thumb, gave me a couple beautiful zucchinis from his garden. My kids asked if I would make chocolate zucchini bread but I decided to make muffins instead because I didn’t want to have my oven on for an hour in this hot weather. These chocolate zucchini muffins were a snap to make and tasted really fantastic! The kids loved that I threw in chocolate chips and I loved that I used whole wheat flour. These muffins were a great after lunch snack and a perfect breakfast the following day.
Irresistible Chocolate Zucchini Muffin Recipe Summary
- Cuisine: American
- Course: Breakfast
- Skill Level: Easy
- 1 cup of whole wheat flour
- 1 cup of flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup of cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 3/4 cup of milk
- 3/4 cup of canola oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 cup of zucchini, shredded
- 1 cup of semi sweet chocolate chips
- Calories: 169
- Protein: 3
- Fat: 10
- Sodium: 90
- Carbohydrates: 19
- Fiber: 15
- Sugar: 11
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Coat a muffin tray with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl combine the flours, sugar, baking soda, salt, baking powder, and cocoa. Mix thoroughly.
- In another bowl, whisk together the milk, oil, eggs, and vanilla.
- Add the shredded zucchini and stir.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients until just combined then add the chocolate chips.
- Spoon batter into the prepared muffin tray, filling each cup to the top.
- Bake in the oven for 17-20 minutes or until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let the muffins cool before serving. Enjoy.
Get Dr. Greene's Wellness Recommendations
Sign up now for a delightful weekly email with insights for the whole family. Plus Dr. Greene's FREE Top 5 Wellness Tips For 2017.