Before you go to an appointment with a doctor or other healthcare professional, write down any questions you may have. Ask questions about your diagnosis, medications, tests, and follow-ups. Be in charge and know what’s going on. Ask for a copy of your test results.
Here are some questions that you may want to ask your doctor:
- What are the causes of my symptoms?
- Will the symptoms go away?
- How long will they last?
- What tests are needed to determine the cause of this condition?
- How is this condition diagnosed?
- What are the criteria for diagnosis?
- What is the treatment?
- Are there alternative therapies?
- What over-the-counter medications would be helpful?
- What prescription medications would be helpful?
- Will my present medications interfere with any of these new medications?
- Should my diet change?
- Are there certain foods that I should be eating?
- What lifestyle changes should be made?
Too many of us have left an appointment only to remember a question we planned to ask. By writing down your questions in advance you won’t leave without the answers you need necessitating a follow-up visit or a string of phone-tag calls with your doctor.
Get Dr. Greene's Wellness Recommendations
Sign up now for a delightful weekly email with insights for the whole family.