The first stop in helping our bodies get clean is … you guessed it, FOOD. Today, we will talk about the importance of coloring our plate, organic foods, toxins in our foods, and washing our produce.
Coloring thy Plate
If you are not coloring your plate already, I highly encourage you to add rich and vivid greens, reds, oranges, purples, and yellows at every meal. Engaging yourself in this way of thinking not only fuels your body with more needed nutrients and fiber, and makes your taste buds happy but also allows you to be more acutely aware of what you are eating on a daily basis. For example: If cereal is your morning meal ritual, how about adding strawberries, peaches or blueberries on top?
Eat organic … as much as you can.
There are three main reasons I promote organic eating.
- Organic foods taste better and in general, are more nutritious ( nutrient rich soils!).
- It allows for a healthier Mother Earth. Pesticide – free trees, plants, and soils have more nutrients in them which in return gives us foods that are richer in taste and nutrition.
- A pesticide and chemical free world keeps us healthier. Less disease.
Pesticides and chemicals are sprayed on everything and are present everywhere. It is difficult to avoid them completely but we can do our best to lower our exposure with what we eat.
Do your best to only buy these foods organic ( dirty dozen):
Apples, bell peppers, carrots, celery, cherries, imported grapes, kale, lettuce, nectarines, peaches, pears, strawberries.
Wash your produce
Washing your produce correctly will give a greater impact of reducing your toxic exposure.
- Remove the skin off non-organic apples, pears, nectarines and potatoes.
- Create an acid wash. Mix enough water to mix with a cup of vinegar in a bowl. Place the produce in the the bowl and let sit for at least 10 minutes. Then gently scrub your produce.
Tomorrow we will talk about emmunctories. Not sure what emunctory is, then stay tuned!
Get Dr. Greene's Wellness Recommendations
Sign up now for a delightful weekly email with insights for the whole family. Plus Dr. Greene's FREE Top 5 Wellness Tips For 2017.