Did you know that the average adult receives 41 pounds of junk mail each year? Help your bloated mailbox go on a diet! By reducing your junk mail, you are saving trees, reducing global warming, and conserving water.
The Effect of your Bloated Mailbox Today
- Junk mail destroys 100 million trees every year.
- 44% of junk mail goes to the landfill unopened.
- On average, Americans receive 16 pieces of junk mail a week, compared to only 1.5 personal letters.
- Each of us wastes 70 hours of precious time each year dealing with junk mail.
- 40% of the solid mass that makes up our landfills is paper and paperboard waste.
- Junk mail inks have high concentrations of heavy metals, making the paper difficult to recycle.
- $320 million of local taxes are used to dispose of junk mail each year.
- The pulp and paper industry is the single largest consumer of water used in industrial activities in developed countries, and it’s the third-largest industrial greenhouse gas emitter (after the chemical and steel industries). 28 billion gallons of water are wasted to produce and recycle junk each year.
- Creating and shipping junk mail produces more greenhouse gas emissions than 9 million cars.
Get Dr. Greene's Wellness Recommendations
Sign up now for a delightful weekly email with insights for the whole family. Plus Dr. Greene's FREE Top 5 Wellness Tips For 2017.