Here are some tips:
* Keep negative feelings about your own body to yourself.
* Be proud of your body and all it can do. Focus on function!
* Take compliments when they are given to you!
* Stay away from diets. Let your daughters see you eat a healthy and balanced diet every day. Time and time again, the clients who tell me that their children are poor eaters are the worst eaters themselves. Your daughters need to see you eat.
* Model healthy exercise behavior. By taking your kids to Stroller Strides or another healthy exercise program, you are showing your kids that exercise is important to you and that it’s fun!
* Don’t let your children hear you discussing your weight or dieting. Be very careful about conversations with friends. They hear more than you realize!
* Try not to hide your body from your daughter. Be proud of your curves. Being open about your body shows your daughter that you are comfortable and that there’s nothing to be ashamed of.
* Be careful of the media. Choose your television programs and magazines carefully. Images of waif models and extreme makeovers send definite messages to your daughter about what she should look like.
* Make your children feel beautiful and special every day.
What we won’t do for ourselves, we will do for our children. Take care of yourself for you, for them!
What do you do for “you”? Do you have any good suggestions for other moms?
Get Dr. Greene's Wellness Recommendations
Sign up now for a delightful weekly email with insights for the whole family. Plus Dr. Greene's FREE Top 5 Wellness Tips For 2017.