If you’re a new parent how do you find the best babysitter to take care of your child? Here are some tips to help you find someone you’re comfortable with and trust with your child.
Find a Babysitter or Nanny in Your Area
- Locate the nearest Park and Recreation center and ask if parents can post a notice looking for sitter.
- Take out a personal ad in the high school newspaper at the school located nearest you. Check with the career counselor as parents can often place a notice on their job board. Sometimes, this same option works well at the middle school level.
- TrySitter City or eNannySource.com. Parents can look at the number of sitters registered in their zip code area for free; but it will cost the parent to access the sitter information.
- Ask neighbors, friends, other moms if they know of a good babysitter or nanny
- Check Ads – Babysitters post ads on community boards in churches, libraries and sites like Craig’s List
- Post an Ad – Use sources like Craig’s List, Sittercity.com or go to your local college/university and post on their job opening board
Before You Hire
Prepare for the Interview – prep your list of questions. Run a background check if the sitter has professional experience as a nanny. Do reference checks.
Arrange a meeting or practice babysitting session with the sitter and your children