Parents are wise to prepare their children for the arrival of the new baby before she comes home. By doing so, the transition to a bigger family will be smoother all around. Following are 5 tips that expectant parents can take to prepare their children for the new arrival. Here are 5 Tips For Preparing Your Child For the New Baby:
1) Tell the child what to expect – Give your child an understanding about what will happen when the baby comes home. Provide as many details as possible so that she feels comfortable with the changes that will follow the new arrival.
2) Answer any questions and ease concerns – Along with telling her what to expect, now’s the time to also be open and available to speak about whatever your child wants to know. Knowledge is power and your son or daughter will have a number of questions regarding the new scenario. Answer to the best of your abilities so that your little one will feel like they are prepared for their new brother or sister’s arrival.
3) Reassure the child – Be as loving and reassuring as you can. Let your child know that you still love them as much as ever and that won’t change when the baby comes home. Now, more than ever, the will need this reassurance.
4) Let your child help with preparations – Including your child in some of the planning and shopping related to the baby will help get him prepared. Let him help set up the baby’s room, among other tasks so that he will get used to the idea and will feel connected with his future sibling.
5) Make your child feel included – Ideally your little one should feel connected to the new baby, in a positive way. This can be achieved a few ways, such as letting the child feel the baby kick, talking to them about babies’ behavior and reading books about new babies. The more involved your child feels, the less likely she will feel jealous of the new arrival.