- Ready In:
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
Tricks for cooking up all kinds of mushrooms.
Nutritional Information (per serving)
- Top quality fresh mushrooms have a lightly closed heads, short stems and smooth, white, cream, or brown, unblemished caps.
- Open caps that expose the fluted underside indicate a certain loss of moisture but not the flavor or goodness. These open mushrooms should not be black at the time of purchase.
- Store fresh mushrooms uncovered in the refrigeratior, preferably in the vegetable drawer.
- Mushrooms will keep for about one week under refrigeration
- Wash mushrooms quickly under cold, running water, dry thoroughly
- Do not peel mushrroms or throw out the stems. This is the most flavorable part of the mushroom.
- Store mushroom stems not used in the refrigerator for later use for recipes that call for chopped mushrooms.
- Sprinkle mushrooms with lemon juice to preserve the light color.
- Canned mushrooms are already cooked. Use the liquid in recipes for added flavor.
- Frozen mushrooms should not be thawed before cooking. Cook as if they are fresh.
One pound of fresh mushrooms =
- 1 quart whole mushrooms
- 20 to 24 medium mushrooms
- 5 cups sliced
- 4 cups minced or chopped
- 2 10-ounce cans, drained
- 1 pound frozen3 ounces dried